India can boast of remarkably strong manpower resources with one of the most developed higher education systems across the globe. India's size of education system ranks third in the world, after US and China.
- The literacy rate in India is 74 percent in 2011, with English being understood and used commonly as a medium of spoken and written communication.
- India had 409 university level institutions in 2008-09. The total number of colleges is 25,990 and that of polytechnics was 1742.
- Total number of annual enrolment for various postgraduate courses is as high as 18.6 Million in the nation.
- [update]India has 1522 degree-granting engineering colleges with an annual student intake of 582,000.
- The number of student enrolled each year to become doctors is as large as 273,366 in India.
- The number of graduates from other courses like management, law, architecture, hotel, travel and tourism management are also growing fast.